Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mystery Quilt

Bonnie Hunter over at Quiltville is having another of her Mystery Quilts.  This time its called Orca Bay based upon a recent trip to Alaska.






While I haven't ever done one of Bonnie's mysteries, they always intrigued me.  Despite the fact that I don't really have a ton of time to quilt, I decided to try this mystery.  I'm still working on part 1, but I'm excited about this quilt.  Its a "smaller" one of Bonnie's designs, so maybe I'll actually finish it.

Most people are up to step 3 and while I have looked ahead a bit, up to step 3 its still just piecing individual blocks.  If I see a step that starts to get into assembly, then I don't plan on looking at it.

So far on part 1, I have made 4 QSTs that are 2.5" square.  I have the pieces cut to make the remaining 220 QSTs, and have half of them marked.  I hope the string piecing in part 2 goes a little faster than part 1.  QSTs always seem to take a while, especially when you have to mark the pieces twice because I don't have the companion or easy angle rulers that would make it faster.

I'll post some pictures later this week once I get a few more QSTs made.

No comments: