Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Quilting Storm...

Its amazing how a little motivation (even if its a bad motivation) can make you get a lot of work done. I have surgery scheduled on Monday for my foot to remove an excess bone, re-attach a tendon and to relieve some tension on another tendon. I will be in a cast for about 6-8 weeks afterwards and, of course, the cast is on my right foot which I use to operate the foot pedal of my sewing machine. I could probably learn to use my left foot in the interim, but I've been sewing like mad to finish up as much machine sewing as possible on my quilts.

My husband's co-worker is having twins sometime between February and March (she's due in March, but twins are usually delivered early), so I have not one, but two quilts that I need to finish up ASAP. This past weekend I think I was sewing just about continuously. On Saturday I was able to completely finish up sewing the quilt top to one of the quilts. I had previously sewed all the rows together, but I had to add a small 1" border (solid color) around the inner pattern, and then I had to add the border, which was two rows of alternating 2" squares. Amazingly though, I was able to finish it completely in about 3 hours.

On Sunday, I was able to piece together all the squares for the second quilt into rows and press them. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I didn't really get out of bed until 10am and then had to do the usual Sunday chores (grocery shopping, cleaning, and laundry). Then last night after work, I put all the rows together in about an hour and a half of pinning and sewing and more pinning and more sewing. I'll have to press it all tonight and start on the borders. Hopefully I'll be able to make a run to the fabric store sometime this week after work so that I can get the batting and the backing for the quilts. Once I pin the layers together I can sew the binding onto it and the machine sewing will be done. Whew!

Anyway, I know I've said that I'm going to put more pictures on here, but I just haven't gotten around to getting the pictures off the digital camera. I think I will need to convince my husband to get everything hooked up again so that I can download the pictures (that should be a nice "easy" project for him - haha).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that I can teach you to knit so you have something to do for the next weeks. Good luck with the surgery and let me know if you need anything.
Your Fellow Tea Tripper