Saturday, February 23, 2008

Long Time...

It definitely has been a while since I last posted on here. Unfortunately, its been pretty crazy the past few weeks with my surgery. I had surgery on my foot on February 4th and have been recovering since then. The first week I was essentially in a drug-induced stupor for most of the week. Unfortunately, the first pain medicine I was on (hydrocodone) made me incredibly ill despite eating a good amount of food. I ended up not taking any pain medication for about 12 - 16 hours because I couldn't keep anything down. Luckily, my husband was able to call the doctor and get a different prescription which didn't make me sick.

The surgery went well and there was nothing really too unexpected. The doctor did discover that the tendon in the arch of my foot was about 3/8" too short, but he was able to re-attach it to where it needed to be. However, because it was short he couldn't put me into a cast right away because it would have put too much stress on the tendon. So this past Monday I went back to the doctor and had stitches removed and my foot/leg had a cast put onto it. Unfortunately, I had some issues with swelling (which I had before the cast, too) that kept getting worse with the cast, so I had to have it re-casted on Thursday. When they took the first cast off, there was visible bruising all around my ankle due to the pressure inside my cast. Thankfully the new cast only has minor problems with swelling and as soon as I elevate it, the swelling subsides.

Now I just have another 3 weeks to go in my cast (which is non-weight bearing of course) and I can start doing rehab to stretch out the tendon and get the strength back in my leg. The doctor said it should only take about 4-6 weeks for a tendon to fully heal. When I have the cast taken off, it will be 6 weeks post-op so everything should be healed up just fine at that point. Hopefully it will continue to heal quickly and I'll be back doing normal things again.

However, with not working for the first two weeks post-op, I was able to get the binding sewn onto the first of the twins' quilts and the second binding is about 80% sewn onto the quilt. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it pretty soon, although after speed sewing through the first binding, I haven't really wanted to do any work on them.

Anyway, I'm actually exhausted today. My parents came up to visit and we went to the mall for a little bit (about 20 minutes actually inside the mall) so that I could get out of the house and go somewhere other than the doctor's office. I was able to get a new purse that can actually be put on your back like a backpack. As I can't really carry anything with me right now because I am on crutches, at least the backpack/purse will allow me to carry around some essentials around the office when I go back to work on Monday. We'll have to see how being back in the office works because all of the interior doors in the office are very heavy (they really want to be closed all the time) and none of them have handicap buttons to open them for you. So we'll have to see how it goes. If its too difficult to get around the office, then I will have to tell my manager that we either have to get the doors fixed or I will be working from home until I'm off the crutches.

No comments: