Monday, January 26, 2009

Quilter's Block

It seems like over the past week or two I’ve had major quilter’s block. For whatever reason, I haven’t been able to get much done quilting related although I’m sure it has to do with work. For those of you who don’t know me very well, I work 40+ hours outside of the home as a mechanical engineer. I work at a company where I design components for steam turbines that are sold to customers for generating electrical power for all of us to use.

Work has been crazy busy since the beginning of the year. Late last year, it was like pulling teeth to find work whereas now, I have more to do than I can think about. It seems like its either feast or famine around here when it comes to how much work you have. I’ve been pretty stressed out about work and having so much to do and not having time to do it. By the time I get home in the evening, I’m so exhausted from work that I almost have to force myself to sit down at the sewing machine, which makes it no fun. Last week I was able to get a fair amount accomplished at work, so I don’t feel quite so harried anymore and hopefully I’ll be able to devote more time to quilting.

This week my real goal is to choose a couple of patterns that I would like to make over the next few months. As I said in my stash busting post, a local quilt shop is having a fabric sale this coming weekend, so its time to pick out the patterns and get the fabric! My plan for tonight is to get some borders sewn onto the Rainbow Quilt and take some photos of the few things I’ve accomplished over the past week or so. I also want to take a picture of our big quilt now that its been quilted.

To help myself feel like I’m getting things done at home along with at work, I’ve actually started making a list of 5 things that I want to get done each evening. One item is always going to get done because its making dinner. ;-) But it is something that has to be done and then I know I can at least cross off one thing on the list. I used to make the lists really long and I would never get even close to finishing the list, so I’m now limiting it to 5 reasonable things. That way I don’t feel too discouraged if I don’t get everything done. If I get more done than what’s on the list…. BONUS!

No comments: