Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shine on Bayou Cane Quilt - Progress Update

This past weekend, Rich and I pretty much just relaxed the entire weekend.  We did a few errands on Saturday and did grocery shopping/laundry on Sunday, but the rest of the weekend was free.  With Rich's hand still healing, we didn't want to work up at the lot cutting down trees.  Plus, since it rained all day Sunday there wasn't a whole lot to do outside.

I finished up all the blocks for Shine on Bayou Cane from Judy L's book "Weekend Quilts".  I actually have them sewn into vertical columns with light green sashing between them, but I don't have a picture of that.

100_0308

I think the blocks came out pretty well.  My corners and star points aren't perfect, but they are much better than the last time I tried to do QST's.  I'm hoping with more practice that I'll get better at it.  I always seem to have more trouble because of the seam allowances.  Its hard to press these blocks when you have all the layers coming together at the middle of the block. The seams just don't want to lay flat...even when I use spray starch.  Maybe next time I'll try pressing the seams open and maybe that will alleviate the problem.

On another quilty topic, I did get fabric ordered, washed and pressed for a baby quilt.  Its a boy...can you tell?  ;-)

100_0311

I've already cut the yellow-ish fabric and the light blue fabric to the left of the yellow fabric.  I still have a lot more to cut though.  From the yellow fabric alone, I needed 192 2" squares!  From the other fabrics, I'll have another 192 2" squares.  I also have a bunch of 4" squares to make HSTs in the design.

This fabric should have been added to a stash busting post, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I think I'll have it add it in this weekend.

No comments: